The green card visa is administered by the U.S Citizenship and immigration Services (USCIS), it allows you to stay, work, marry, build and invest in the United States of America on a permanent basis.
They are four methods of getting a Visa into the United States of America namely;
- Family Visa
- Refugee Visa
- Employment Visa
- Diversity Lottery (Green card) Visa.
The diversity visa lottery most commonly known as the green card lottery was commissioned in 1995 as a program which offers an opportunity for Immigrants to automatically get into America, get full citizenship and enjoy all the benefits of an American citizen. The green card lottery is intended to diversify the population of people living in America; therefore, only Countries that are scarcely represented in the USA are eligible to apply.
As of 2018, an estimated 23 Million USA lottery visa application was received, but only a small amount of applicants are accepted because 55 thousand permanent residency cards are made available by the U.S government every year.
Applicants from the following continents are eligible to apply:
- North America
- South America (Central America & the Caribbean)
There are two basic requirements needed to apply for the U.S diversity lottery visa:
The applicant must have gotten a secondary school education (high school).
Two years of work experience at a job which requires two years experience training program (to determine if your work experience meets the requirement, visit www.onetonline.org, and find your occupation category).
Fewer than 1% of the applicants are chosen, an automated system randomly chooses the winners, they are expected to submit the necessary documents, and go for an interview at the U.S embassy in their home country.
The key to getting approved is usually tied to perfect timing (early application) and adhering to the rules that govern applying for a U.S diversity visa. Lottery visa application starts every October and ends November 6th.
APPLYING FOR THE USA GREEN CARD LOTTERY VISA
Only aspirants born in countries whose indigenes qualify for this visa are eligible to apply (A person born in Canada and lives in or outside Canada is not eligible for U.S visa lottery program).
Applicants from ineligible countries but have parents or spouse from an eligible country are allowed to apply provided that the applicant claims the birth country of either their spouse or parent (A Canadian who is married to a Ghanaian is eligible to apply by merely claiming the nationality of his spouse, Ghana).
Go to www.dvlottery.state.gov and select “begin entry”, and “authentication code” would display on your screen, input the code in the provided space and click “submit”.
Fill the “Entrant Information Form” and make sure every detail correctly corresponds to your documents (ensure to select an eligible country to avoid automatic disqualification and also indicate if you are using the country of your parent or spouse in the box provided).
Upload a recent and precise photograph of yourself (group photographs, blurry photographs, and edited photographs with filters or photoshop will be rejected).
Fill the “Derivatives Form” (this form should contain information about your spouse and living children under the age of 21) and also upload a recent passport photograph of your spouse. Go to www.egreencardphoto.com, upload your passport photograph and the system would automatically adjust your photograph to meet the requirements of the U.S government, download the readjusted photograph and upload in the space provided in the Visa application portal.
Review the information submitted and Print a copy for future references.
A “Submission Confirmation” page will pop up with confirmation that your entry to the Diversity Visa Program has been received and is being processed. Print this page and also take note of your “Confirmation Number” before closing the Window (this number will be needed to keep track of your application process and also find out if you have been selected to take part in the USA Diversity Lottery Program.
Applicants are to check their application status by May 5th (7 months after applying) to confirm if they have been accepted into the lottery program. Go to www.dvlottery.state.gov, scroll to the bottom and click “Check Status” and enter your “Confirmation Number” to verify if your entry has been selected.
Winning the green card lottery isn’t a guarantee that you have a green card; it grants you the chance to apply for one.
Applying for Diversity lottery visa is totally free.
Application is only online.
Immigrant Visa and Green Card are the same things, and they offer permanent residence to the holder.
Do not wear eyeglasses in your photographs.
What Are the Required Documents for a UK Visa?
You should submit the following documents to apply for a UK visa:
- UK visa application form. According to the UK visa type you are applying for, you may have to complete the form online at the website of the Visa4UK website, or the manual application form.
- Two photographs. These photos should be taken within the past six months and in color.
- Your Valid Passport. It must be valid for three more months beyond the date you plan to leave the UK after your trip. It must also have at least one blank page for the visa.
- Proof you have the financial means to cover the living costs while in the UK. This may be your bank statements for the last six months, or pay slips for the same period.
- Proof of accommodation. You will need to present a document that shows where you will be accommodated while in the UK. Note that you do not have to fully pay a hotel/hostel in UK before getting the visa, just to get such a document.
- Detailed travel itinerary. Submit a travel plan that gives all the information regarding how and what you are planning to do in the UK. Include the travel dates, places you will visit, meeting agenda, booked tour, festival agenda, etc. Click here to learn how to book dummy flight tickets for UK visa.
- Tuberculosis Test Results. Nationals of several world countries will need to submit the requests of a Tuberculosis Test in order to be eligible for a UK Visa. Check here if you need to provide the TB test results.
- Biometric information. If you are applying for a visa that lets you stay in UK for more than 6 months, you will need to submit your biometric information. This includes giving your fingerprints and a digital photograph taken at the appropriate application center.
- UK visa invitation letter. (If applicable). If you will be staying over at a friend or a family member, then you should submit a letter of invitation. Your host must be a UK national or a legal resident.
- Paid UK visa fees. You should submit the receipt that confirms you have paid the visa fee as required.
- Certified translations of any document that is not in either English or Welsh.
Additional Requirements According to Your Employment Status
You will need to submit extra documents according to your working status, as follows:
- If you are employed:
- A letter from your employer. This letter should confirm your position at work, your salary and the length of employment.
- If you are self-employed:
- Business registration documents. They should confirm the business owner’s name and the date the business started trading.
- If you are a student:
- A letter from your education provider. The letter should be confirming your enrolment and leave of absence.
Additional Requirements for Applicants Under the age of 18
Applicants under the age of 18 shall submit some several additional documents. These documents are as following:
- Birth Certificate.
- Adoption papers (if applicable).
- If travelling unaccompanied or with someone other than a parent(s):
- A signed letter from the parent(s) confirming details of anyone accompanying the minor.
- A copy of the parent(s) or legal guardian’s biographical page of their passport.
Documents to Present at the UK Port of Entry
At the UK port of entry, you will need to show some documents to the border control police.
If you are an EU/EEA national, you can use the EU/EEA channel to get your documents checked. You only need your ID or passport. Adults must accompany children from the age of 17 and under.
Non- EU/EEA nationals need the following documents when they show at the UK port of entry:
- Valid Passport.
- Landing Card. You will get this from your carrier. You need to fill it in before your reach the border control.
- Visa (if applicable).
Skills10 months ago
List Of Profitable Businesses to Start in Nigeria as a Student
Skills5 months ago
List Of Handwork and Digital Skills to Learn as a Student in Nigeria
Loans10 months ago
Loan apps that can give more than 100k in Nigeria
Skills10 months ago
Making Money in School as A Student in Nigeria 2022
Visa Tips5 months ago
What Are the Required Documents for a UK Visa?
Loans4 weeks ago
“I am going back to Lagos to find a man, I can’t do it here” – UK-based Nigerian lady announces (Video)